A Game to Get You Un-Stuck On Crappy Feelings
My friend Anna once joked that before we both got married (not to each other), we dated each other for years (open…
Per the above link, 5 Things That Are Nice:
- Wikipedia — I just went down a rabbit hole about the Beat Generation and its various members and mythologies for 45 minutes and it was fantastic. I barely even recall why I ended up going down said hole, but I don’t regret it in the slightest. The fact that you could do this practically infinite times about basically infinite topics is truly amazing.
- iPhone 12 — I’m not even a full week in and it’s great. I’ll have a lot more thoughts on it soon, of course. But I will say that it’s seemingly noticeably faster — I think this is more related to the RAM than anything else — and it’s the first phone I can recall using where I prefer to use it with a case. It’s a svelte case that’s easy to get on and off, and it makes the phone decidedly more gripable. It’s just a beautiful device.
- Jazz — Every night as I putter around the internet before going to bed — sometimes writing, sometimes reading, often on Twitter, almost always doing email — I listen to jazz music on my television. Yes, this is a weird thing to say. But I put it “on” the Apple TV and watch the great Apple TV screensavers when I glance up from my first screen. I love jazz music. I’ve heard many of the same songs hundreds of times yet every time I feel like I’m hearing some new layer of a particular song. And it helps me think. Yes, I’m doing this right now.
- The Queen’s Gambit — We just started watching it on Netflix and it’s great three episodes in. I think one thing I like about it is that it’s hard to compare it to anything else that I’ve seen. They also make the actual chess scenes compelling in a way I didn’t think was possible.
- Next Week — The fact that we’re one week away from perhaps — per fucking haps — electing a new president is bringing me joy right now. Perhaps foolish, but I’m pretty confident and comfortable. Again, again, again, again, again, again, again, this may be naive, but I’m an optimist. Also, I turn 39 years old on Monday.